Admission Process

Applying to Long-Term Care

Office of Placement Services

Couple sitting with health-care professional

The office of placement services coordinates all admissions to personal care homes, long-term care facilities and protective care community residences in the Eastern Region through a single-entry system.

If you live in the community, the application process includes a visit from a nurse or a social worker who completes a needs assessment to determine your care requirements, and the best options for you. You must also have a medical form completed by your doctor, and a chest X-ray taken.

If you are in a hospital, a social worker will assist you with the application process.

Wait Times

There are times when a vacant bed may not be available in a long-term care facility at the time of your application. When this happens, your name will be added to a waitlist.

Our waitlist is based on need rather than length of time you are on the list. If a suitable bed becomes vacant, and you are assessed as being in the greatest need, you will be offered placement.

If you are in hospital waiting for a bed in a Long-Term Care facility, you will be expected to accept the first available bed offered to you – even though it may not be in your preferred facility. This is also true if you are in a Personal Care Home waiting for a bed in a Long-Term Care facility.

Transfer requests

Although you are not guaranteed a bed in your preferred Long-Term Care facility, you can request a transfer to the site of your choice once you have been admitted. It is important for you to move to a facility that can best meet your care needs as soon as possible.

It is always nice to tour a few homes before naming your preferred home on your application. To pre-arrange your visit, contact the manager of the Personal Care Home or social worker at the Long-Term Care Facility you wish to visit.

When visiting, we encourage you to address all questions and concerns you may have.

Veterans Affairs provides placement to eligible veterans wishing to enter the Caribou Memorial Veterans Pavilion in St. John’s. Beds for non-veterans may be accessed through the single-entry system described here. Respite Care is also coordinated through this office and requires completion of an application.

Share This Page:
Last updated: 2023-02-09